As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
“a crispy chocolate bite that melts in your mouth”
It’s well known that chocolate chip cookies are the most popular and loved sweet snack in the world. So, it doesn’t come as a surprise that there are many recipes and variations to the traditional formula that all claim to be the best chocolate chip cookies recipe.
However, I believe it all comes down to personal preference. For example, just when I thought I’d tried every recipe out there, I found yet another way to make mouthwatering chocolate chip cookies using greek yogurt. Have you ever cooked cookie dough with greek yogurt? Trust me, it makes super soft and chewy chocolate chip cookies. Best of all, the yogurt makes the cookie formula healthier.
Greek yogurt is sometimes used as a substitute for butter (like in this recipe) in order to reduce fat, while still keeping the cookie moist and soft. It will add a rich tangy flavor, plus all the health benefits that come with it. The only thing you need to keep in mind is that too much yogurt and too little flour can result in soggy cookies, so don’t be shy on the flour. Also, don’t beat the dough too much! Mixing too much can make the cookies rise and then sink in the oven, and we don’t want that!
To make this Greek yogurt chocolate chip cookies recipe, you’ll need a baking sheet, parchment paper, and two mixing bowls. The preparation and baking time are 10 minutes each, which means in 20 minutes, you’ll have fresh-out-of-the-oven delicious treats. So, let’s see just how ridiculously easy this recipe is.
The first step is to preheat the oven to (180°C) 350°F.
After this, take a large mixing bowl and combine the brown sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs. Next, stir in the vanilla extract and Greek yogurt. Be careful not to overmix the batter. Stir slightly, just until the ingredients are combined.
Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in another mixing bowl and gradually stir it in the batter. Beat very lightly just until the dough gets a little dense. If it’s too sticky, add a little bit of flour.
Set the dough aside while you prepare the baking sheet. Line parchment paper over the baking sheet and grease it with cooking oil or melted butter.
After this, take a tablespoon and scoop from the dough, then drop it in one corner of the baking sheet. Repeat the same procedure and spread cookie dough drops all over the baking sheet. Just keep in mind that the dough is going to rise and spread while baking, so don’t place them too close to one another.
Place the baking sheet in the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Pull the rack a bit and check whether the cookies are done. Touch the edges just slightly with a spatula or your finger. If the cookies are firm and stay in place, then they’re done. If the edges still feel a little soft on the touch, then let them bake for 3-5 minutes more.
Once the cookies are done baking, let them cool on a rack for about 20 minutes, or until they reach room temperature. I know it will be hard to resist the temptation, but the waiting is worth it! Never store warm cookies, as you’ll lose the crunchiness. The cookies will go soft and will feel gooey while eating.
Keep yourself busy while the cookies cool, then serve and enjoy!
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 2 cups of chocolate chips
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup of plain, non-fat Greek yogurt
- ¼ cup of shortening
- 1 ½ cup of brown sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to (180°C) 350°F.
- Cream together the brown sugar, butter, shortening, and eggs in a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the greek yogurt and vanilla extract. Mix lightly until just combined. Don’t beat the batter too much.
- Take another small mixing bowl and mix the flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually add the dry ingredients into the batter while stirring. Once you add the flour beat very lightly.
- Finally, fold in the chocolate chips and set aside.
- Take a baking sheet and line it with parchment paper. Grease with cooking oil.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop up from the dough and drop it on the baking sheet.
- Leave enough space between the drops of cookie dough because they’ll grow while baking.
- Bake for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Place the cookies on wire racks to let them cool completely. It usually takes around 20 minutes at room temperature.
- Serve and enjoy.