As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
“the missing piece to your afternoon coffee”
Are you in for a yummy strawberry jam buttermilk coffee cake? The name is a mouthful, I know, and can be a little bit confusing – coffee cake without the coffee? So, let’s just address this right from the beginning.
Traditionally, coffee cakes were not called coffee cakes because they contained coffee, but because they were eaten over a cup of coffee. Can you remember any commercial or billboard for coffee brands and coffee shops? If you do, chances are there’s a delicious treat next to the coffee mug. I believe the name naturally became a trend because people fell in love with the whole ritual of sharing their afternoon coffee with friends while enjoying a tasty piece of cake. So, coffee and cake became a worldwide symbol for a pleasurable, relaxing time.
Are you thinking of inviting your friends over for a cup of coffee? Let’s make this delightful strawberry jam buttermilk coffee cake and make your rendezvous even lovelier.
To make this cake, you’ll need three mixing bowls, a 9-inch springform cake pan, and the ingredients listed below. However, don’t forget you need to stock up on coffee, too, especially if you have guests coming in.
The preparation time is no more than 15 minutes, while the baking time takes around 50 minutes. If you don’t have a 9-inch springform cake pan, you can use a different dimension or even shape (rectangle pan, loaf pan, square pan, etc.), but keep in mind that you need to change the baking time and the amount of the ingredients. Never fill the baking pan to full – ⅔ of its height is perfect – and always keep an eye on your cake while baking.
The first step is to preheat the oven to (180°C) 350°F, so it’s ready for baking while you prepare the batter.
The next step is to make the cake batter. Take a medium-size mixing bowl and combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt. After you mix the ingredients, set the bowl aside.
Take a large mixing bowl and whisk together the wet ingredients – the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract, and the shortening. After the ingredients combine, gradually stir in the flour mixture. Once you get a smooth and creamy batter, set the bowl aside.
The final step is to prepare the cake pan and bake the cake. To do this, take the cake pan and grease it with cooking oil or melted butter. After this, pour the cake batter, filling ⅔ of the pan.
Place the pan in the oven and bake for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, take the cake out of the oven and pour the strawberry jam over it, then toss the sliced strawberries on top and sprinkle with granulated sugar. Return the cake in the oven and continue to bake for another 20 minutes.
Usually, this is a good time to start preparing the glaze – 10 minutes before the cake is baked. Crush the five strawberries in a small mixing bowl until you make a puree. After this, add the rest of the ingredients, except the pecans. Whisk in the powdered sugar, cream, and vanilla extract. Stir for a minute or two. After the blend becomes smooth and has a nice and creamy consistency, you can set it aside.
Once the cake is baked, take it out of the oven and place it on the rack. Toss the chopped pecans over the cake and spatter the glaze. However, don’t just pour the glaze, be creative and make an interesting pattern. I know the taste is important, but a visually pleasing cake is like the cherry on top – makes the whole experience much more pleasant.
Let the cake chill for 10 minutes while you make the coffee, then serve and enjoy!
|15 mins||50 mins||1 hour, 5 mins||8|
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 tablespoons shortening (melted)
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 egg
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 ½ tbsp buttermilk
- 1 cup of sliced strawberries
- ⅓ cup of strawberry jam
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- A pinch of salt
For the glaze and topping:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 5 strawberries
- 2 tbsp cream
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ¼ cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to (180°C) 350°F.
- Take a small mixing bowl and combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and a pinch of salt.
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, sugar, vanilla extract, and shortening in a large bowl. Once the ingredients are combined, stir in the flour mixture.
- Take a 9-inch springform cake pan and grease it with cooking oil or butter.
- Add the batter into the cake pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- After this, take the cake out of the oven and dollop the strawberry jam over it.
- Toss the sliced strawberries on top and sprinkle the granulated sugar.
- Return the cake in the oven.
- Bake for another 20 minutes.
- 10 minutes before the cake is done baking, prepare the glaze. Take a small bowl and crush 5 strawberries to make a strawberry puree. After this, stir in the cream, vanilla extract, and powdered sugar. Whisk all the ingredients until you get a soft and creamy consistency.
- Once the cake is done baking, remove the pan and place it on the rack. Sprinkle the chopped pecans and pour the spatter the glaze on top, then let it sit for 10 minutes before serving.